Sharethis

Station to station

Pitter patter...

Wake up Linda, wake up.... 
The alarm clocks incessant whine getting louder and louder is grinding at me. No more slapping the sleep button, I can't, l have to get up now. I silence the clock for the final time and another is noticeable, kinder on the on my ears and not so harsh and demanding as the clock.

Rain.

I love the rain if l do not have to go outside, the gentle soothing sound is calming and nurturing to nature but today l have to go out. I look out of the window and see rain pouring down, this painful hard rain. Long lasting and heavy and l feel miserable.

  
A little bit of Sunshine teases it's way through making halo's in the wet scenery, it still does nothing for me. I ferret through the wardrobe making a choice of suitable clothes to make me feel happy for this wet dank day, I will not succumb to Autumn's bad side. The cold, wet misery of before frosty days and snow. I select, I smile, I go out the door.


The rain is outside as l watch from the inside of the warm but noisy train, music and voices on phones and the rail announcements "this train will be calling at..."
I am fixed by the rain on the window and journey ahead of me.
The train Journey is too London, from where l'm leaving the outside view is terminally boring. I see the countryside everyday, fields and trees in the rain and cows lying down. Small Towns whizz by l watch the world l inhabit disappear and the large City start stretching out over the skyline.





Reflections in the window of people snoozing mixed with the boredom of the day, expressions of tiredness and thoughtfulness are caught in the window. The secret world of people whose privacy l'm encroaching on. Outside the skyline is heavy, heavy with more black rain. I watch.


I love the backs of the dirty unmatched London houses that back onto the railway systems, I see flower boxes and flowerpots on people ledges in attempt to beautify their blackened homes.


Row upon on row on track, row upon row of houses sit side by side in a companionship built to last years both blackened both needed and both working sided by side.


In time new sparkly mirror faced facaded building have shot up, offices  and homes, weaving in and out of the old tenement blocks of out London. I look at them trying hard to feel they out of place but l can't, the new all bells and whistles ones work. They are stunning and lively, clean and they have brilliance.





The new with the old in London is everywhere l look, nothing can be more different but workable than here in this view from the train than the London Eye and Big Ben. The giant cradling the once sublime building, guarding it or maybe framing it in the London skyline for tourists. All smoke and mirrors of the Shard appears looming in the sky, the glass needle fighting for respect. The design is perfect, neat and modern but soon became forgotten. Now Londoners may feel it is not that special after all, a fading beauty along with other sky-liner's.


The Shard, a station, a crane and a mobile phone - Technology and design in a small photograph.



The grand station of Charing cross, beautifully ornate as you walk in the front entrance from the street and modern as you leave over the Thames. It seems to be a theme rippling through London, ever changing London.


The Old coincides with New, side by side and each year another new development pops up to change London. There is so much to think about, the 45 minutes isn't enough but l do have to travel back home again. As I walk out onto the street the rain starts again, light at first until it found it's strength to fall heavily in rhythm. I turn around and to see the grandness of Charing Cross and wonder how long the old frontage will stay old or will it be grabbed by time one day to be fashioned like it's backside.



No comments: